St. John’s International School was founded in 1964 in Waterloo (25 km from Brussels) and is a leading international school in Europe. St. John’s provides an English-speaking education to 525 students between the ages of two and eighteen years, representing more than 62 nationalities. It has built its reputation for excellence on a foundation of exceptional academic programs as well as athletics and the visual and performing arts.
St. John’s International School
St. John’s International School is located in Waterloo (25 km from Brussels).
Address : Drève Richelle 146, 1410 Waterloo, Belgium
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone : +32 2 352 0610
St. John’s International School
General Informations – St. John’s International School
- Age : 2 ½ years to 18 years
- Sections : Preschool, Primary and Secondary
- Language of instruction : English or English and French between 2 and 11, English between 11 and 18 years old
- Curriculum : International Baccalaureate Programme (IB)
- Diploma : International Baccalaureate Diploma*
- Number of pupils/students in the school : About 525 pupils/students
- Native language teachers : Yes
- Uniform required : From Grade 1 to 5
- Average class size : 16 pupils/students
- optional extra languages : French, German, Spanish, Korean, Swedish, Dutch, Norwegian
- Extracurricular activities : Large range of activities for all ages
- School Bus : Yes, around Waterloo, including the centre of Brussels and surrounding cities
*The IB Diploma is globally recognised by international and Belgian universities.
Education Cycles – St. John’s International School
The school includes a PRE-KINDERGARTEN, a KINDERGARTEN, a PRIMARY and a SECONDARY SECTION :
- TIMBERTOTS, PRE-KINDERGARTEN and KINDERGARTEN : from 2 ½ to 6 years old.
- PRIMARY SCHOOL (Grade 1 to 5) : from 6 to 11 years old.
- MIDDLE & HIGH SCHOOL (Grade 6 to 12) : from 11 to 18 years old.
Curriculum – St. John’s International School
THE EARLY LEARNING SCHOOL
The EARLY LEARNING SCHOOL (TIMBERTOTS, PRE-KINDERGARTEN and KINDERGARTEN) and the PRIMARY YEARS PROGRAMME follow the Reggio Emilia philosophy. This is an educational philosophy based on the image of the child as possessing strong potential for development and as a subject of rights, who learns and grows in their relationships with others.
This global educational project is based on a number of distinctive characteristics: the participation of families, the collegial work of all personnel, the importance of the educational environment, the in-school kitchen, the pedagogical coordinating team, the presence of the atelier, or creative space, and the figure of the atelierista, a teacher dedicated to promoting creative expression.
In the atelier spaces young children are offered daily opportunities to encounter many types of materials, many expressive languages, many points of view, working actively with hands, minds, and emotions, in a context that values the expressiveness and creativity of each child in the group.
Children have a self-contained campus, with a well-equipped playground, an art room, a library, a music room, a garden with vegetables, a green house made of recycled bottles…
Early Years Programme in St. John’s
THE PRIMARY YEARS PROGRAMME
The PRIMARY YEARS PROGRAMME (PYP) is an international curriculum framework designed for all children between the ages of 3 and 12 years. The programme focuses on the total growth of the developing child, addressing social, physical, emotional and cultural needs in addition to academic concerns.
The PYP offers a comprehensive, inquiry-based approach to teaching and learning. It combines the best research and practices from a range of national systems with a wealth of knowledge and experience from international schools, to create a relevant and engaging educational programme.
Teaching methodologies and assessment strategies reflect teachers’ engagement with current educational thinking and high quality ongoing professional development.
The school also offers a DUAL LANGUAGE PROGRAMME. The DUAL LANGUAGE PROGRAMME is one in which two languages are used for instruction: English and French taught by Mother Tongue and Bilingual teachers working as a Team.
Primary Years Programme in St. John’s
THE MIDDLE & HIGH YEARS PROGRAMME
About the MIDDLE & HIGH YEARS PROGRAMME (Grades 6-10). The Middle and High School have followed the IB PROGRAMME since 1978.
The INTERNATIONAL BACCALAUREATE® (IB) MIDDLE YEARS PROGRAMME (MYP) comprises eight subject groups:
- Language acquisition
- Language and literature
- Individuals and societies
- Physical and health education
The MYP requires at least 50 hours of teaching time for each subject group in each year of the programme. In years 4 and 5, students have the option to take courses from six of the eight subject groups within certain limits, to provide greater flexibility in meeting local requirements and individual student learning needs.
Each year, students in the MYP also engage in at least one collaboratively planned interdisciplinary unit that involves at least two subject groups.
MYP students also complete a long-term project, where they decide what they want to learn about, identify what they already know, discovering what they will need to know to complete the project, and create a proposal or criteria for completing it.
Middle & High Years Programme in St. John’s
Extracurricular – St. John’s International School
St. John’s offers a wide variety of after-school activities, including:
- Sports : Basketball, Climbing wall, Floor hockey, Golf, Gymnastics, Multisports, Running, Soccer, Swimming, Track and Field, Tennis, Volleyball
- Performing & creative arts : Art & Crafts, Band, Choir, Dance Video Clip, Drama, Pottery Club
- Languages : French Club & English Club
Tuition fees – St. John’s International School
More details about St. John’s tuition fees are available HERE
FACEBOOK PAGE | St. John’s International School
BLOG | St. John’s International School
> TUITION FEES: Fees and Prices St. John’s International School
> SPECIFICATIONS: International Bilingual School Brussels, International Primary School Brussels, International Secondary School Brussels, International Baccalaureate
> HOME: International Schools of Brussels